All About Adoption is here to help you with every step of your adoption journey! I believe the more informed you are, the smoother and happier the adoption process will be. In previous blogs, we’ve chatted about the how-to’s, the benefits, and the pain points of adoption. This week, let’s chat about what mistakes to avoid to keep your spirits high and your process as simple as possible.
- Creating an adoption profile before selecting an agency. While this mistake often happens due to pure enthusiasm, it can be frustrating to have to re-do your adoption profile. Different agencies have different requirements. Best way to avoid this? Wait until you receive instructions from your agency.
- Completing or starting your home study process before you know what avenue you plan to use. In a previous blog, I covered the 6 different avenues of adoption. Similarly to the adoption profile, depending on which avenue you use, the requirements will be different.
- If you haven’t realized, I am passionate about adoption education. It is so important to know what you are getting into and how it can affect everyone involved. The next big mistake you can make during the adoption process is to not take the time to educate yourself. In my course, All About Adoption 101, I cover many topics that will help you understand every step and what to expect.
- Thinking the adoption process is too expensive and unachievable. Numbers can be scary. But, keep in mind there are so many ways to help fund an adoption or offset some of that cost. If your family wants to adopt, you can make it happen.
- Not doing your research on who you are going to hire. There are so many adoption agencies and adoption attorneys. Unfortunately, they can’t all be what you need or all be credible. Do your research.
- Not taking the time to understand what kind of child would be a good fit for your family. Understanding your family’s needs and considering all angles will help you make the right decision.
- And the last one? Thinking that you can control the process. I will put it bluntly… adoption is out of your control. However, you do have control of who you choose to hire to help guide your process.
If you can avoid these 7 mistakes, you are well on your way to a smooth adoption and a happy family. If you are interested in learning more about the adoption process, pain points, or how-to’s, be sure to check out my comprehensive course, All About Adoption 101. Until next time!