If you’ve “Liked” us on Facebook, or followed us on Twitter or Pinterest, then you know that we love quotations. All month long, we’ve been focusing on spreading the love. To wrap up February, here’s a list (in no particular order) of fifteen quotes, relating to adoption and/or birth parentage, that we love and that we have shared with you in the past.
1. “They may not have my eyes, they may not have my smile, but they have all my heart.”
—Unknown. Shared on Nov. 7, 2013.
2. “Not flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone, but still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, you didn’t grow under my heart but in it.”
—Fleur Conkling Heyliger. Shared on Feb. 25, 2013.
3. “Family is not defined by our genes, it is built and maintained through love.”
—Amalia G., Independent Adoption Center. Shared on Aug. 2, 2013.
4. “Adoption was a bumpy ride – very bumpy. But God, was it worth the fight.”
—Mariska Hargitay. Shared on Jan. 13, 2014.
5. “A moment in my arms, forever in my heart.”
—Unknown. Shared on Dec. 11, 2013.
6. “Be PROUD that you’re adopted! Every kid is different.”
—11 year old who was adopted at 1 year old. Shared on Jan 9, 2013.
7. “I have four children. Two are adopted. I forget which two.”
—Bob Constantine. Shared on Dec. 9, 2013.
8. “A mother’s love for her child is like no other love. To be able to put that feeling aside because you want the best for your child is the most unselfish thing I know.”
—Mary, American Adoptions Birth Mother. Shared on Nov. 20, 2013.
9. “Adoption one child won’t change the world, but for that child, the world will change.”
—Unknown. Shared on Nov. 25, 2013.
10. “You don’t choose your family. They are God’s gift to you, as you are to them.”
—Desmond Tutu. Shared on Apr. 10, 2013.
11. “Adoption is not the call to have the perfect, rosy family. It is the call to give love, mercy, and patience.”
—Hope for Orphans. Shared on Feb. 20, 2014.
12. “As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen.”
—Winnie the Pooh. Shared on Sept. 27, 2013.
13. ”Adoptive Mom? I am Mom. I need no other label or prefix.”
—Joanne Greco. Shared on March 2, 2013.
14. “There are times when the adoption process is exhausting and painful and makes you want to scream. But…so does childbirth.”
—Scott Simon. Shared on Jan. 29, 2013.
15. “[Adoption] carries the added dimension of connection not only to your own tribe but beyond, widening the scope of what constitutes love, ties, and family. It is the larger embrace.”
—Isabella Rossellini. Shared on June 3, 2013.